AUSTIN (KXAN) — The population in Central Texas is expected to double by 2040, from 1.7 million people in 2010 to 4.1 millino in 2040. To address the continual growth, the Capital Area Metropolitan Planning Organization (CAMPO) has prepared its 2040 transportation plan. CAMPO is focusing on several congested Austin roadways in Hays, Travis and Williamson counties.
The 2040 draft plan also assigns state and federal road funds — to the tune of $4.25 billion — to projects that improve congestion along the IH-35 corridor. The improvements to IH 35 include: a Future Transportation Corridor (FTC) through the CAMPO region, auxiliary lanes, ramp relocations and modifications, collector-distributor roads, intersection and frontage road improvements, bridge replacements, two direct connectors at 183, and improved bicycle and pedestrian accommodations in the corridor.
Some of these roadways being considered for expansion include Farm to Market 973 to the east, Farm to Market 1826 to the southwest and State Highway 79 in Round Rock.
Another stretch that slows down drivers is Farm to Market 620 from Pecan Park Boulevard to State Highway 71 West. A daily driver on FM 620, James Dortch, knows how congested the roadway can become.
“620 does get extremely extremely full of traffic. People use it for a cut or people use it for a main strip. It’s actually really bad,” said Dortch.
The Draft 2040 Plan projects:
- Widen RM 620 to 6 lanes divided from Pecan Park Blvd to SH 71 W (Williamson and Travis Counties)
- Widen FM 973 to 4 lanes divided from US 183 to US 290 (Travis County)
- Widen RM 1826 to 4 lanes divided from US 290W to Nutty Brown Rd. (Hays and Travis Counties)
- Widen US 290W to 6 lanes divided from RM 1826 to Nutty Brown Rd (Travis County)
- Reconstruct US 79 from IH 35 to AW Grimes to a 6 lane divided facility with sidewalks (Williamson County)
- Reconstruct RM 1431 from Sam Bass to IH 35 to a 6 lane divided facility (Williamson County)
- Widen FM 1626 to a 4 lane divided facility from IH-35 to Brodie Lane (Travis County) and from FM 967 to FM 2770 (Hays County)
- Widen Post Road from IH 35 to Aquarena Springs Rd to a 4 lane undivided road (Hays County)
- Reconstruct SH 71E to a 4-lane freeway with frontage roads from west of FM 20 to west of SH 304 and west of the Colorado River to east of Loop 150 E. (Bastrop County)
- Widen SH 80 to 6 lanes divided from SH 21 to FM 1979 (Hays and Caldwell Counties)
- Widen FM 1100 to a 4 lane divided facility from the Travis County Line to SH 95 (Bastrop County)
CAMPO is inviting the public to give their opinion on the 2040 plan until April 2nd. You can also email your opinion or check out the full list of roadways being considered for expansion by clicking here.