Owl blamed for carbon monoxide scare at Texas school

FILE (ReportIt)

DALLAS (AP) — A dead owl is being blamed for a buildup of high levels of carbon monoxide at a Dallas elementary school that prompted its evacuation. Dallas school district spokesman Andre Riley said the carcass was found in the ventilation system at Lakewood Elementary School. Riley said the air in the school returned to safe levels after the owl was removed, but new readings will be taken Wednesday morning just to be sure conditions are safe.

Dallas Fire-Rescue spokesman Jason Evans says a leak Tuesday morning was traced to a furnace in the school basement of Lakewood Elementary School.

Lakewood Elementary School, according to its website, has more than 850 students.

___

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

KXAN.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Users who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s