Electrical short in computer sparks North Austin office fire

Austin Fire Department

AUSTIN (KXAN) — Austin firefighters discovered faulty wiring on a computer caused a fire inside an office at One Highland Center Sunday morning.

AFD got the call around 9:15 a.m. due to light smoke on the first floor of the five-story office building at 314 East Highland Drive.

Crews quickly knocked the fire down but were worried the fire had spread. Luckily for them, that was not the case as the fire was kept in the office due to the working sprinkler system.

Investigators determined a computer shorted and estimated damages at $5,000 to the contents and $50,000 to the structure.

KXAN.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Users who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s