Our friend Barbara Beery of Foodie Kids stopped by the studio Monday with something fun and fantastic for kids to do on a day inside. You can find Foodie Kids on Far West Boulevard, or give them a call at 512-346-3333.
You can also check out their parties, classes and retail online by heading to foodie-kids.com.
Whole Wheat Tortillas
Olive oil; for brushing tortillas
Grated cheese; you favorite
Line a baking sheet with foil. Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Warm tortillas slightly in the microwave (approximately 5-10 seconds). Fold in half and in half again. Using a scissors, make tiny cuts and snips as if cutting out a paper snowflake. Brush with olive oil, sprinkle with cheese and bake for 8-10 minutes.
Crunchy Cheesy Chickpeas
Makes 2 1/2 cups
2 15 1/2-oz BPA-free cans chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
• Spread chickpeas on several layers of paper towels or cooling wire rack to dry for 30 minutes.
• Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside until ready to use.
• In a medium bowl, combine oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Add cheese and stir until crumbly and oil is absorbed. Add chickpeas and toss to coat.
• Spread on a baking sheet and bake for 45 to 50 minutes, until golden and crispy.
Veggin’ Out Snack Cups
Makes 8 snack cups
1 green bell pepper, washed and dried
1 yellow bell pepper, washed and dried
1 orange bell pepper, washed and dried
1 red bell pepper, washed and dried
Assorted vegetables, nuts, pretzels, and cheeses
1. Using a small serrated-edge knife, cut each bell pepper in half. Clean out seeds and inner membrane. The bottoms of some bell peppers are too rounded to sit straight. This will make your pepper snack cup wobble when filled. You can fix this by using a serrated-edge knife to cut a thin sliver of pepper off the bottom of the snack cup. Now it will sit without wobbling.
2. Fill with assorted vegetables, nuts, pretzels, cheeses, and dips of choice.
Soft as Snow Playdough
1 part hair conditioner
2 parts cornstarch
Silver glitter or small stars
1. Pour conditioner and glitter or other decors into a bowl. Stir to blend. NOTE: Not all conditioners are the same consistency. You may need to add a little more or a little less cornstarch to get the right consistency
2. Add the cornstarch and stir with a spoon to combine. Finish by mixing with your hands.