AUSTIN (KXAN) — Here are the top 5 free Weekday Events from our partners at Free Fun in Austin.
1. MLK March, Festival, and Food Drive – Monday, January 19 from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. The annual Community March celebrates Dr. Martin Luther King’s legacy while uplifting diversity and multi-culturalism in Austin. The MLK Community March will kick off with a short program at the MLK Statue on the University of Texas campus. Participants will then march to the historic Huston-Tillotson University, where exciting activities are planned. Everyone is invited to march and celebrate Dr. King’s legacy. The MLK Community Festival will begin as soon the march arrives on location. It will include all types of vendors and local musical artists to make this year’s celebration the best ever. FREE! Marchers are asked to bring canned goods or non-perishable food items, which will be donated to the Capital Area Food Bank. March: Begins at MLK Statue on UT Campus, East Mall. Festival: Huston-Tillotson University, 900 Chicon St, Austin. Click here for FREE parking locations.
2. Free Admission to The LBJ Presidential Library – Monday, January 19 from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. To ensure President Johnson’s wish for the library to “be available to all,” entrance fees are waived on several days during the year, including MLK Day. FREE! LBJ Presidential Library, 2313 Red River St, Austin.
3. Peace Through Pie – Monday, January 19. You can “bake” the difference! Attend a pie social and start building a more supportive and peaceful community, one piece at a time. View the schedule for times and locations.
4. Tiny Tails to You Storytime – Wednesday, January 21 at 10:30 a.m. If you’re a fan of chinchillas, bunnies, ducklings, guinea pigs, chickens, AND stories, then you’re in luck. Friends from Tiny Tails to You will be reading stories and introducing some of the cutest, softest, most adorable little creatures in Austin. What a wonderful way to make new friends. FREE! BookPeople, 603 N Lamar, Austin.
5. Planet Music: Dance Around the World – Friday, January 23 from 7-9:00 p.m. Dance Around the World will feature four dance groups representing different regions of the world. The event will include a folk fashion show of traditional costumes and dance lessons interspersed between performances. Featuring the Manjani West African Dance Group, The Love of China, Ballet Folklorico MariCruz, and Austin International Folk Dancers representing Eastern Europe. Family friendly and FREE! Dougherty Arts Center, 1110 Barton Springs Rd, Austin.