AUSTIN (KXAN) — A fire that started on a balcony and spread to the attic of a South Austin apartment complex damaged eight units and left 18 people without a home.
Firefighters were called about 2:45 p.m. to the Cheshire Garden Apartments at 2121 W. William Cannon Dr. Crews were able to put the balcony fire out, but a few minutes later it was discovered the flames had spread to the attic. A total of 14 trucks and 70 firefighters helped put out the flames after a second alarm was issued.
All 80 units of the complex were evacuated, and firefighters said everyone got out safe. The Red Cross was called in to help those displaced by the fire.
An improperly discarded cigarette was blamed for the fire that caused $450,000 in damages. The fire destroyed two apartments and caused minor damage to four more units. Four other apartments had some smoke damage.