Elderly man in critical condition after early morning house fire

Juan Salinas/KXAN


AUSTIN (KXAN) –  Austin firefighters rescued an elderly man early Sunday after his house caught fire due improper use of an extension cord.

AFD received the call around 1:30 a.m. for a structure fire at 2040 Northridge Drive. Crews arrived quickly due to a nearby station and were able to enter the back of the house to fight the blaze.

When firefighters entered the house they were slowed by piles of the owner’s belongings.

“It was considered to be a hoarder’s house,” said firefighter Kelly Gall. “There was so much material inside the house that, initially, that can make searches rather challenging.”

Despite having to navigate past the piles, the firefighters found the man quickly and Austin-Travis County EMS took over. He remains in critical condition at UMC Brackenridge.

Gall said the home had no smoke detectors. Firefighters estimate damage at $20,000 to the structure and $10,000 to the contents.

KXAN.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Users who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s