AUSTIN (KXAN) – Austin firefighters rescued an elderly man early Sunday after his house caught fire due improper use of an extension cord.
AFD received the call around 1:30 a.m. for a structure fire at 2040 Northridge Drive. Crews arrived quickly due to a nearby station and were able to enter the back of the house to fight the blaze.
When firefighters entered the house they were slowed by piles of the owner’s belongings.
“It was considered to be a hoarder’s house,” said firefighter Kelly Gall. “There was so much material inside the house that, initially, that can make searches rather challenging.”
Despite having to navigate past the piles, the firefighters found the man quickly and Austin-Travis County EMS took over. He remains in critical condition at UMC Brackenridge.
Gall said the home had no smoke detectors. Firefighters estimate damage at $20,000 to the structure and $10,000 to the contents.