TRAVIS COUNTY, Texas (KXAN) — Seven firefighters and two paramedics are out of the hospital after possible carbon monoxide exposure at a produce warehouse Tuesday afternoon.
Emergency crews were originally called out to the warehouse at 26905 W. State Highway 71 just after 1:30 p.m. Tuesday for a man who fell off a forklift. According to the Pedernales Fire Department, while treating the initial patient, multiple people started reporting that they weren’t feeling well. Crews got everyone out of the area because of the possibility of some kind of environmental exposure.
Authorities are still trying to determine if the man who fell off the forklift was overcome with carbon monoxide.
Seven firefighters, two paramedics, and three other patients were treated or evaluated at a hospital, according to emergency personnel. Austin-Travis County EMS said Tuesday that the other patients have non-life threatening injuries.
The Pedernales Fire Department confirms that it is working with the Occupational Safety and Health Administration and OSHA is conducting its own investigation.