AUSTIN (KXAN) — An electrical fire in a garage forced the owners of East Austin duplex out of their home Sunday night. Fire crews were called to 1809 New York Ave. just before 11:45 p.m. It took fire crews 20- to 30 minutes to find the fire because of all the heavy smoke. AFD Battalion Chief Thayer Smith says weather conditions — such as thick fog in the area — prevented the smoke from lifting. Crews were able to put out the fire once they found it.
The duplex owners managed to make it out safely before fire crews got there, thanks to the help of a passerby. No one was hurt, but the fire caused $240,000 in damages.