Tapas are the perfect way to try a variety of tastes while sharing with the ones you love this holiday. Malaga Tapas and Bar Executive Chef Mario Medina stopped in to tell Amanda about their newly revamped menu and to share a recipe for Garbanzo Con Chorizo which will be featured during their special Christmas Eve menu.
GARBANZO CON CHORIZO Yield: 6 servings
Chickpeas, dry 2 cup
Water 12 cup
Carrots, medium dice ½ cup
Onion, medium dice ½ cup
Celery, medium dice ½ cup
Garlic cloves 4 cloves
Salt 1 TBSP
1. Place dry chickpeas in a bowl, bring 4 cups of water to boil then pour over chickpeas. Let it sit for 30 min. Discard the water.
2. Add the chickpeas to a stock pot with the rest of the ingredients, bring water to boil then simmer till chickpeas are soft. Add more water if needed during the cooking process so the chickpeas remain cover at all time.
3. Drain water, set aside 2 cups of cooked chickpeas with the vegetables to puree.
Chickpeas cooked with vegetables 2 cup
Spanish paprika 1 tsp
Vegetable stock 1 cup
Lemon juice 3 TBSP
Salt to taste
1. Add all ingredients and puree till smooth. If you would like to adjust puree consistency add more vegetable stock. Set aside.
Chickpeas, cooked 4 cup
Shallots, mince 6 TBSP
Garlic, mince 4 cloves
Spanish Chorizo, small dice ½ cup
Spanish paprika 2 tsp
Thyme, fresh 1 sprig
Lemon Juice 4 TBSP
Rosemary, fresh ½ inch
Olive oil ½ cup
Parsley, chopped ½ cup
Salt to taste
1. In saute pan add olive oil and bring to medium heat then add shallots, garlic, chorizo, let the flavors infuse at low heat for about one minute.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients and cook till chickpeas are hot, season with salt.
USE CHICKPEA PUREE AS BASE IN DESIRE PLATING DISH, TOP OFF WITH SAUTE CHICKPEAS.