Fredericksburg bomb scare suspect arrested

FREDERICKSBURG, Texas (KXAN) – The person responsible for two bomb threats Tuesday at Fredericksburg High School has been arrested, the school district reported Wednesday.

Police say 17-year-old Reuben Byon called the high school about 10:30 a.m. Tuesday and said “there is a bomb in the school, everybody needs to evacuate.” All students and faculty were moved to safe areas away from the school while police searched the campus. Officers allowed everyone to return to class after nothing suspicious was found.

A short time later, a Fredericksburg ISD school board member reportedly received a phone call stating, “All dead in two hours.” Due to the earlier threat, police once again cleared the high school and released students for the day. Two bomb detections dogs were brought in from Austin to search the school and a 24-hour security detail was put into place overnight to keep the school secure. After several hours of combing the campus, the dogs found nothing suspicious. Classes resumed as scheduled Wednesday.

Police tracked down Byon after retrieving the phone number used to call the board member. They also received a tip saying Byon was bragging about making the threats.

Authorities said the phone number they tracked was also used to call several schools in Louisiana. Police there told Fredericksburg officers that bomb threats had been made to three separate schools.

Byon initially told police he didn’t know anything about the calls. In a second interview he confessed to calling the high school, an assistant vice principal and a school board member, authorities said. He was arrested on a warrant in Alexandria, Louisiana, for calling in bomb threats to those schools. He was also charged with two counts of making a terroristic threat in Fredericksburg. He is being held in the Gillespie County Jail on $700,000 bond.

Penalties for making a bomb threat can be severe, even for a juvenile. In Texas, it is a state jail felony. That means a person convicted could face up to two years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000. It’s also a federal offense, and those penalties carry up to 10 years in prison and $250,000 fine. provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Users who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s