EL CAMPO, Texas (AP) — School officials say five students at a middle school southwest of Houston were airlifted to a hospital when they became ill after ingesting an unknown substance given to them by another student.
Authorities say the students ingested the substance Wednesday while on the campus of El Campo Middle School, about 70 miles from Houston. Preliminary indications are that the students each swallowed a pill given to them.
A sixth student also ingested the substance but was treated at the school. The other five had elevated heart rates and were transported to a Houston hospital by air ambulance as a precautionary measure.
The school has identified the student who gave the pills to the others, but it’s not clear just what they ingested.
No other information was immediately available.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.