GEORGETOWN, Texas (KXAN) — McCoy Elementary School students in Georgetown have returned to class following an evacuation Tuesday morning, caused by a gas leak at a nearby construction site west of the school.Construction crews were dragging a gas line, and it ruptured. The school district reports all of the students who attend the Bellaire Drive school are safe, and district officials have given the all-clear for students to head back to class.
“Kids are back in the building at McCoy,” Georgetown Independent School District tweeted around 11:15 a.m. “All are safe and getting back to a day of learning.”
Atmos Energy crews will fix the leak, but it will take a few hours.
The evacuation was strictly precautionary. A school spokesman says all of the evacuated students were on the sports field, as far away as they could get. District officials were telling parents that they could pick up their children. They are also reassuring parents that everything is OK.
Several houses near the school, four or five at the most, were also evacuated.