Gas leak leads to Dallas home explosion

DALLAS (CNN/WFAA) — A natural gas leak is being blamed for a house explosion and fire in Dallas on Tuesday morning. Everyone inside the home got out safely. Surveillance cameras captured the blast, and a neighbor recorded the flames as she ran to escape. When the shaking stopped amid the blast, next door was an inferno — burning white-hot.

“I grabbed my phone and called 911,” said Sara Rodriguez, a neighbor. “I saw people screaming, yelling, and I was, like, shocked.”

Just before 6 a.m. Tuesday, Rodriguez was in her kitchen getting ready for school when the neighbor’s house exploded.

“It sounded like a boom, like a bomb or something like … it came towards us,” said Rodriguez.

Arriving firefighters yelled at Rodriguez to get out of her house.

Firefighter: “Come out of that house!”

Rodriguez: “My grandma is coming!”

Firefighter: “Get her out of there!”

The blast shattered her windows, even melted blinds inside the home. Meanwhile, 1612 Champagne Drive was unrecognizable. Studs still stood, but brick walls got blown down.

“It’s just amazing that everyone got out alive, so maybe it was already on fire and then they had ran out and it exploded on the way out,” said neighbor Charles Price.

And that is most remarkable. A mother and her five children escaped. The father was at work when this happened.

“I couldn’t even believe it,” said Rodriguez. “It’s like so, I feel so bad for them.”

Atmos Energy said its lines weren’t leaking. Dallas Fire Rescue determined the explosion and fire to be an accidental one, caused by a gas leak, though. It’s a leak likely on the inside of the home.

blog comments powered by Disqus