AUSTIN (KXAN) – There are plenty of free events planned in the weekend ahead, and here’s what our friends over at Free Fun in Austin are suggesting:
- Back to School Bash at Dove Springs Recreation Center – Saturday, August 23, from 10 a.m. – noon. Dove Springs Rec Center will be giving away 400 backpacks filled with school supplies. Kids must be present to get a ticket for a FREE backpack. Vendors will also have some school supplies to give away. Come prepared for a line. Doors open at 10 a.m. Dove Springs Recreation Center, 5801 Ainez Dr., Austin.
- Austin Summer Musical for Children: The Wizard of Oz – Saturday, August 23 at 11 a.m., 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. and Sunday, August 24 at 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. Austin Summer Musical for Children presents the live musical theater version of the motion picture The Wizard of Oz. FREE tickets for the play are available at the door 45 minutes before showtime. Shows do fill up in a hurry, so plan to arrive at least an hour early (some people have been lining up 90 minutes early). Each adult in line can only get 4 free tickets. Appropriate for all ages. Boyd Vance Theatre, George Washington Carver Museum and Cultural Arts Center, 1165 Angelina St, Austin.
- The Austin Chronicle Hot Sauce Festival – Sunday, August 24, from noon to 5 p.m. Bring family and friends (but no dogs, please) to partake in tastings, live music, and local vendors! Admission is FREE with a donation of three healthy, nonperishable food items or a suggested $5 cash donation to the Capital Area Food Bank of Texas. Free parking will be available across from Plaza Saltillo, at the northwest corner of Fourth & Waller, for Hot Sauce Festival attendees. Capital Metro will provide free shuttles from this location to the festival grounds and back again. Fiesta Gardens (map), 2100 Jesse E. Segovia St., Austin.
- Come Dance! with Ballet Austin – Sunday, August 24, from 1 – 5:40 p.m. Whether you love to dance or have never danced a step in your life, Come Dance is your day to get your groove on! Come try as many of the fun dance styles as you can! Come dance! It’s FREE! Butler Dance Education Center, 501 W 3rd St, Austin.
- Austin Symphony Concerts in the Park – Sunday, August 24 at 7:30 p.m. This is the final week to catch a free Austin Symphony concert at the Hartman Park, located on the grounds of the Long Center. This week, you can enjoy Big Band music (click here for the program). Concertgoers are encouraged to bring a picnic dinner and blanket and make it a group outing. FREE parking will be available at One Texas Center, located on Barton Springs Rd. at S. 1st Street. Paid parking will be available at the Palmer Garage for $7. Hartman Concert Park (directions), Long Center, 701 W. Riverside Drive, Austin.