AUSTIN (KXAN) – If you are looking to get out of the house this weekend, there is no shortage of events going on around time.
This is what our partners Free Fun in Austin is suggesting.
- 24th Annual Lake Travis Flight - Saturday, August 9 at sunrise. This is an informal Central Texas Ballooning Association event. The public is invited to watch hot air balloons take flight over Lake Travis. Parking is limited and weather determines whether or not the balloons may launch. The balloonists will meet at 6:20 a.m. and inflating will take about 15 to 20 minutes. Arrive early to find a spot to park and watch the balloons take flight at sunrise (approximately 6:53 a.m.). The balloons will fly for about an hour. See a video of this event here. Please note that if weather conditions will not permit safe flight, the launch will be canceled. Call 512-481-2822 for updates. Be prepared for parking to be somewhat disorganized on rocky terrain. Do not park on the launch area (keep grass areas clear). Mansfield Dam Park, 4370 Mansfield Dam Park Rd., Austin.
- Barton Springs Fest – Saturday, August 9, from 8 a.m. – 7 p.m. Enjoy outdoor adventure, snorkeling tours, hikes, and live music on the south hill. There will also be free watermelon, a diving competition, educational speakers and workshops. While the Fest activities are FREE, events that take place within the gates of the pool require that you pay admission to Barton Springs Pool ($1-$4). Also, $5 will be charged to park in Zilker Park, starting at 8 a.m. on Saturday. Barton Springs Pool, Outside Back Gate and South Hill Area, 2201 Barton Springs Rd., Austin.
- Austin Summer Musical for Children: The Wizard of Oz – Saturday, August 9 at 11 a.m., 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. and Sunday, August 10 at 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. Austin Summer Musical for Children presents the live musical theater version of the motion picture The Wizard of Oz. FREE tickets for the play are available at the door 45 minutes before the showtime. Shows will sell out, so be sure to arrive early! Appropriate for all ages. Boyd Vance Theatre, George Washington Carver Museum and Cultural Arts Center, 1165 Angelina St, Austin.
- Flashback Family Night at LBJ Library – Saturday, August 9, from 5 – 11 p.m. Grab a picnic and a lawn chair and come on out to the LBJ Library to enjoy exhibits, live music, and a movie on the lawn: 5 – 7 p.m. – FREE Library admission; tour Sixty from the ’60s exhibit; 7- 8:30 p.m. – Rock to “Rotel and the Hot Tomatoes” on the lawn by the LBJ fountain; 9 p.m. – Sing along with the 1963 classic Bye Bye Birdie. Please, no alcohol or pets. Bring your own blankets and chairs for the movie and music! FREE parking will be available in the LBJ Library visitor parking lot (#38) located at 2313 Red River Street, as well as the parking lots adjacent on either side (lots #37 and 39). The entrance to lot #38 is flanked by Library banners. Overflow parking will be available in nearby garages for a fee of $3 per hour. LBJ Library, 2313 Red River St., Austin.
- 2014 Texas Football Fan Day – Sunday, August 10 at 9 a.m. UT Athletics invites fans to a 9:30 a.m. open practice at Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium. This is the first opportunity for fans to get a glimpse of the Longhorns before the season opener vs. North Texas. The stadium opens at 9 a.m. Practice concludes at approximately noon. Following practice, fans are encouraged to head to the Frank Erwin Center for autographs from players and assistant coaches. For complete details and FREE parking information, visit TexasSports.com.