AUSTIN (KXXAN) — As summer winds down, kids are about a month away from heading back to class. The Salvation Army is asking people in the community to help donate school supplies and clothes for homeless students.
“We know to get out of the homeless cycle, you’ve got to have education and we feel this is a great way to start these youngsters off on that journey towards an education.” said Lt. Colonel Henry Gonzalez with the Salvation Army.
The organization is teaming up with Men’s Wearhouse Cleaners to collect donations. The non-profit takes care of more than 100 homeless kids and said it needs a continuous supply of materials because kids come and go in the program.
- New or gently-used khaki pants
- Dark blue and black polos for kids 5 to 18 years old
- Kleenex boxes
- ake a look at the items they’re collecting between now and August 18th.
Men’s Warehouse Locations
- Barton Creek: 2901 S Capital of TX Hwy
- Lincoln Village: 6406 N Interstate 35, 2375
- Homestead Center: 5207 Brodie Ln. Ste. #135
- Southpark Meadows: 9600 S IH 35 Ste. S300.
- Gateway Square Shopping Center: 9503 Research Blvd. Bldg 5, Ste. 650
- Lakeline Mall: 11200 Lakeline Mall Dr. f-13
- Round Rock: 2711 La Frontera Blvd. Ste
The company will take the clothes, clean and press them, then deliver it to the Salvation Army.
“Think about if you had to go to school and didn’t look like the other children, where you stood out differently because you didn’t have the same type clothes or as good as clothes as them,” said Michael Nesbit, President of MW Cleaners says, “And so by being able to help people that are less fortunate than us, once again it’s just an extension of who we are as a company.”
The drive ends on August 18.