AUSTIN (KXAN) – There is no shortage of events going on around Austin this weekend.
Here are some of the idea’s our friends at Free Fun in Austin have passed along.
- Make a Pencil Holder at The Home Depot – Saturday, August 2, from 9 a.m. – noon. The Home Depot invites kids to get ready for school by making a mini-crate pencil holder. Stop by your local Home Depot for this FREE, hands-on workshop. Designed for kids ages 5 to 12, these workshops teach children do-it-yourself skills, tool safety and instill a sense of pride and accomplishment. All kids get to keep their craft and receive a free certificate of achievement, a Workshop Apron, and a commemorative pin.
- Austin Amazing Pet Expo – Saturday, August 2, from 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. Bring your pet to the 2014 Austin Amazing Pet Expo! You’re welcome to bring your dog or your bird or even your lizard – just make sure that you have proof of current age-appropriate immunizations (if applicable) and that your canine companion is on a non-retractable lead. Check out a special appearance by Shorty Rossi (and his pit bull, Hercules), star of Pit Boss on Animal Planet, visit with 165+ pet-friendly exhibitors and rescue groups, see live demonstrations in agility, obedience training, pet care, and activism, enjoy great giveaways, a talent contest and costume contest, and much more fun for the whole family. If you’re looking to add a new pet to your family, a mega-adoption event sponsored by Banfield Pet Hospitals will have more than 300 pets available for adoption. Admission is FREE. Download a program here. Palmer Events Center, 900 Barton Springs Rd, Austin.
- Movie Night at Deep Eddy Pool: Despicable Me 2 – Saturday, August 2 at dusk (approximately 8:45 p.m.). Come enjoy the final movie night this summer! Watch Despicable Me 2 at Deep Eddy Pool with your floats and favorite beach towel! FREE with pool admission. Admission: FREE Infant (under 12 months); $1.00 – Child 1 to 11 years; $2.00 – Junior 12 to 17 years; $3.00 – Adult 18 to 61 years; $1.00 – Senior 62 years+ (All fees are $1 more for non-residents). Deep Eddy Pool, 401 Deep Eddy Ave., Austin.
- 1960s Day at Bullock Museum – Sunday, August 3 at noon. Enjoy FREE exhibit admission from 12 – 6 p.m. Families can explore the Story of Texas through three floors of exhibits that showcase artifacts from around the state. Special family programs from 12 – 3 p.m. combine art creation, presentations by partner organizations, and gallery activities. This Sunday, travel backward to the 1960s and explore this wild decade with fun for families. Kids will make their own wearable 1960s art, explore 1968 with exhibit guides just for them, and much more. Hippie attire encouraged! Bullock Texas State History Museum, 1800 N. Congress Avenue, Austin.
- Family Day at UMLAUF – Sunday, August 3, from noon – 4 p.m. First Sundays offer a special, hands-on program designed for families with children, four to 15 years old. Families have the opportunity to explore the Umlauf collection and exhibitions in the garden and museum while engaging in creative activities. Family First Sundays feature Story Time with BookPeople (1 p.m.), Sculpture Demonstrations by representatives from Texas Society of Sculptors, Sculpture Scavenger Hunts and more! FREE and open to the public! 605 Robert E. Lee Road, Austin.