AUSTIN (KXAN) — Firefighters battled a duplex fire in Southwest Austin Saturday afternoon.
AFD was called to the 4900 block of Cana Cove shortly after 4:30 p.m. Saturday. Crews say the duplex was fully engulfed.
According to investigators, an improperly discarded cigarette started the fire.
Four people were displaced by the fire, and medics treated them on-scene.
One person was taken to the hospital after being bitten by an animal who did not want to evacuate the home. Medics also transported one person who had pre-existing medical conditions.
The fire caused an estimated $250,000 in damage, according to AFD.