Del Valle, TEXAS (KXAN) — Beginning Tuesday morning Texans can buy fireworks across the state through July 4.
The annual sale is one of three times during the year fireworks can be purchased in the state. The other times include Cinco de Mayo — sold May 1 through May 5 — and New Year’s Day, sold Dec. 20 through Jan. 1.
In Texas, there is an additional 2 percent tax on fireworks sales with proceeds going to a state program that assists rural fire departments.
Within the city of Austin, only certain fireworks are allowed:
- Snake, GlowWorms – Pressed pellet of pyrotechnic composition that produces a large, snakelike ash upon burning. The ash expands in length as the pellet burns. These devices may not contain mercuric thiocyanate.
- Smoke Device – Tube or sphere containing pyrotechnic composition that, upon ignition, produces white or colored smoke as the primary effect.
- Wire Sparkler – Wire coated with phyrotechnic composition that produces a shower of sparks upon ignition. These items may not contain magnesium and must not exceed 100g of composition per item. Devices containing any chlorate or perchlorate salts may not exceed 5g of composition per item.
- Trick Noisemaker – Item produces a small report intended to surprise the user. These devices include:
- Party Popper – Small plastic or paper item containing not more than 16mg of explosive composition that is friction-sensitive. A string protruding from the device is pulled to ignite it, expelling paper streams and producing a small report.
- Booby Trap – Small tube with string protruding from both ends, similar to a party popper in design. The ends of the string are pulled to ignite the friction-sensitive composition, producing a small report.
- Snapper – Small, paper-wrapped item containing a minute quantity of explosive composition coated on small bits of sand. When dropped, the device explodes, producing a small report.
- Trick Match – Kitchen or book match that has been coated with a small quantity of explosive or phrotechnic composition. Upon ignition of the match, a small report or a shower of sparks is produced.
- Cigarette Load – Small wooden peg that has been coated with a small quantity of explosive or pyrotechnic composition. Upon ignition of the match, a small report or a shower of sparks is produced.
- Auto Burglar Alarm – A tube which contains pyrotechnic composition that produces a loud whistle and/or smoke when ignited. A small quantity of explosive, not exceeding 50mg, also may be used to produce a small report. A squib is used to ignite the device.
For the first time, Austin’s big fireworks show is moving to the Circuit of the Americas race track due to the ongoing construction at Auditorium Shores.
Right now, 60 counties in Texas — including Mason, San Saba and Lampasas — are under burn bans.