AUSTIN (KXAN) — A popular event series at The Long Center is heating up summer yet again: Austin Sound & Cinema.
“We had a little movie night at work last night,” Heath Riddles posted on Facebook about Wednesday’s “The Three Amigos” screening.
Riddles shared a picture snapped by a drone above, showing the layout of the estimated 7,000 people who showed up at The Long Center.
Do512 and the Alamo Drafthouse are teaming up to bring the best of food, family fun, movies and live music back to the Texas capital for a second year.
Much like its inaugural year, this summer’s Sound & Cinema will once again feature pairings of classic Hollywood movies with a diverse array of local bands — which will play a musical tribute to the movie.
That’s followed by a screening of the film on Alamo Drafthouse’s giant inflatable outdoor screen, topping it off with the backdrop of the Austin skyline in the background.
The summer series consists of six events on The Long Center lawn, on opposite Wednesdays from Blues on the Green.
The best part about this: It’s free, family friendly and open to everyone.
Food truck lineup
- Peached Tortilla
- Whole Foods
- Uncle Louie G’s
The food trucks open at 6 p.m. each night, and the sunset concerts will start around 7 p.m.
And to wet your whistle, there will be full bar service featuring El Jimador cocktails, a variety of craft beers and nonalcoholic drinks.
The movies begin shortly after dark, sometime around 8:30 p.m.
What to bring or leave at home
- Bring: blankets, folding chairs and nonalcoholic beverages.
- Don’t bring: Pets and outside alcoholic beverages are not allowed.
Parking is available in the Long Center garage, and there will also be extra bike racks at The Long Center for each event — as well as a free Car2Go drop zone.
- The outlaw country band “Crooks” performing music from the hilarious western comedy “The Three Amigos”
- Local funk collective “The Golden Dawn Arkestra” paying tribute to the “Indiana Jones” fantasy adventure “Raiders of the Lost Ark” and Steven Spielberg’s sci-fi classic “Close Encounters of the Third Kind” with music from special guests that are soon to be announced.
Sound & Cinema lineup
- July 2: Pee Wee’s Big Adventure featuring The Urban Achievers Brass Band
- July 16: E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial featuring music by Henry + The Invisibles
- July 30: The Pink Panther (1963) featuring the music of Henry Mancini performed by the Jeff Lofton Quartet
- Aug. 13: Raiders of the Lost Ark featuring music by The Golden Dawn Arkestra
- Aug. 20: Close Encounters of the Third Kind featuring music from special guests (to be announced June 15)