Holiday Inn guests evacuated in fire scare

AUSTIN (KXAN) —  Holiday Inn guests in Downtown Austin off Riverside Drive woke up early Monday morning to be evacuated from the building after a transformer blew — causing a backup generator to kick in and run hot.

Initially, the incident was paged in as a generator fire scare on the first floor, but officials quickly realized that was not the case.

Austin Fire Department crews went door to door to wake up guests, making sure everyone got out safely. They evacuated the building as a safety precaution, even though there was no fire.

Guests had to take the stairs if they were on the upper floors because of concerns with the electricity and the elevators not functioning properly.

While guests waited outside for nearly two hours, hotel staff worked to transfer guests to other area hotels.

Around 4:30a.m. everyone was able to return to their room and pack up their belongings before being shuttled to other hotels.

Austin Energy crews are at the hotel trying to fix the transformer, a task they say will take about four hours. In the meantime the air conditioning is not working inside the hotel.

No injuries were reported.

KXAN.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Users who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus