‘It shook the whole town’: Teen injured in home explosion

ELGIN, Texas (KXAN) — An explosion at a home in Elgin burned a 17-year-old boy Sunday.

Family members said the explosion happened after Marcus Newman, a student at Elgin High School, opened the door to the home. He then ran from the home on fire.

“First I thought it was an airplane had run into somebody’s house,” said Mae Day, a great-aunt of Marcus. “They tell me it shook the whole town.”

(Courtesy: Brian Loving)
(Courtesy: Brian Loving)

Investigators say a propane leak is responsible for the explosion at 201 Carver Street. Elgin’s fire chief said they are still working to find out what sparked the gas.

“And all we remember is he came out running around the corner here, on fire,” said Brian Loving, an uncle.

Newman was taken from the home by a family member who later met up with ambulance along U.S. Highway 290. He was then airlifted to University Medical Center Brackenridge before being transferred to San Antonio Military Medical Center.

Family said Newman was in critical condition.

“His little brother and sister miss him so much. They keep asking about him. Asking: ‘Is he going to be okay?’ All I can do is just say ‘yes, he’s going to be okay.’ I know without God we can’t make it. It’s going to be okay. It’ll be okay,” said Mae.

Randy Reyna, Elgin’s fire chief, said people four miles away reported hearing the explosion.

blog comments powered by Disqus