AUSTIN (KXAN) — There are plenty of way to enjoy some good fun with your family this weekend. While not everything’s free, we have made a list of the Top 5 free things to do in Austin this week, courtesy of the Free Fun in Austin website.
- Something for Nothing Presents Hamlet – Friday, June 6 and Saturday, June 7 at 8 p.m. Shake out your picnic blankets for a night of Shakespeare under the stars. Something for Nothing Theater will perform Hamlet with minimal props, costumes, and lighting, focusing on storytelling and the rich language of Shakespeare. Performed by a cast of 9 actors, featuring Jon Cook as Hamlet, Hamlet concludes at a brisk two hours. This is the final weekend of this production. FREE! Ramsey Park, 4301 N Rosedale Ave, Austin.
- Movie In The Park: Pee Wee’s Big Adventure – Friday, June 6 at 8:30 p.m. Remember the old drive-in movies on the big screen? Well, Dittmar Recreation Center is having a “flashback.” This is an opportunity to enjoy Pee Wee’s Big Adventure on the big screen in the middle of the park. Bring your blankets, lawn chairs, and snacks. Glass containers and alcoholic beverages are not permitted. Family friendly and FREE! Dittmar Recreation Center, 1009 W Dittmar Rd, Austin.
- Hasbro Saturday Morning Cartoon Breakfast – Saturday, June 7, from 8 – 10:30 a.m. ATX Television Festival and Hasbro Studios are creating that nostalgic morning for kids and parents alike with a family-friendly Saturday Morning Cartoon Breakfast! Come in pajamas (both little and BIG kids), grab some pancakes, and snuggle up on blankets to enjoy episodes of My Little Pony, Littlest Pet Shop and Transformers: Rescue Bots. Hasbro Studios will provide giveaways, interactive Smilebooth photo booth, and games! While attendance (and breakfast) is FREE, please RSVP if you plan to attend. Stephen F. Austin Intercontinental Hotel, 701 Congress Ave, Austin.
- Home Depot – Saturday, June 7, from 9 a.m. – noon. Kids are invited to build a pint-size riding lawn mower at this FREE hands-on workshop, designed for children ages 5 – 12. All kids get to keep their craft, receive a FREE certificate of achievement, a Workshop Apron, and a commemorative pin while supplies last. Kids Workshop activities are scheduled on a first come, first served basis. Please do not arrive before 9 a.m. Register to attend at a Home Depot near you.
- Boardwalk Grand Opening – Saturday, June 7 at 10 a.m. Join The Trail Foundation and the City of Austin as they celebrate the grand opening of the Boardwalk on the Ann and Roy Butler Hike-and-Bike Trail at Lady Bird Lake. Themed “Run, Walk or Bike on Water,” the celebration will feature a ribbon cutting ceremony, a festive march across the Boardwalk, family entertainment and more! Lakeshore Trailhead, eastern end of the Boardwalk, Ann & Roy Butler Hike-and-Bike Trail, Austin.