DEL VALLE, Texas (KXAN) — Residents in Del Valle have reported numerous alligator sightings near a pond in the 13000 block of Thome Valley Drive.
Residents put up “alligator warning” signs to alert anyone approaching the pond. There is also a sign to note the pond is an alligator habitat. Authorities urge everyone to stay out of the pond and refrain from swimming in it.
In June 2013, KXAN reported on a 7-foot alligator that had been spotted in the same pond. On Thursday, authorities sent out a notice warning the public of the alligator.
Texas Parks and Wildlife recommends the following tips to stay safe from alligators:
- Do not feed them
- Do not get close to them
- Do not swim or wade near them
- Do not let pets near them
- Do not agitate or tease them
- Do not try to catch one
- Do not approach an alligator’s nest
- Do not observe from a safe distance on land
- Discourage others from feeding them
- Treat them with respect as an important element of nature
Call the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department at 409-736-2551 or email at email@example.com with any questions.