Months later, still no answers in 2-year-old’s death

AUSTIN (KXAN) – Two-year-old Braydin Weaver died September 15, 2013. It was four days after his mother’s then boyfriend reported the child had fallen down a flight of stairs while he was babysitting.

Austin Police investigated the case then and says the case is still an active investigation.

When asked if cases like this normally take this long to have a cause of death declared, detective Brian Miller admitted he hasn’t seen that often.

“But, the medical examiner’s office is just taking all the steps to get it right and it’s a very complex case,” said Miller.

Miller couldn’t say much more about the case since it is still an open investigation.

Braydin’s mother, Kira Taylor, says her boyfriend called her that day and said he and Braydin were upstairs brushing their teeth. He told Kira he turned his back for a second, and heard tumbling. He told her that’s when he saw Braydin at the bottom of the stairs.

“I just feel like there’s no justice for Braydin. I just want to know what happened to my baby,” Taylor said.

She has his ashes in a box decorated with all of Braydin’s favorite cartoons. But, she says his memory lives on. Braydin was an organ donor and Taylor says he saved the lives of other children. “His heart is still beating,” she said, crying.

We checked with the Travis County Medical Examiner’s Office to ask why it has taken eight months for a determination on the cause of death. They have not responded to our calls or emails.


KXAN has obtained the Child Protective Services report on this case. The CPS investigator writes in the report that Braydin “received a serious head injury while under the supervision of the mother’s boyfriend”. At the hospital the child was found to have ‘areas of scalp swelling, and bruising above his left eye, on both sides of his head, on both legs, and on the deceased child’s chest. The child also had what appears to be a human bite mark upon his left heel.”

The CPS investigation said a skeletal survey revealed a healing left wrist fracture.

The report goes on to say “an autopsy on the child found three areas of trauma to his brain, but no skull fracture which would indicate a fall onto tile floor. There were also no injuries to the back of the child’s brain that one would expect if there was a fall down the stairs.”

The final conclusion by the CPS investigator says, “The mother’s boyfriend was confirmed to have committed physical abuse of the child. It is further determined that this abuse led to the child’s death.”

The boyfriend was tested for drugs had positive results for marijuana, amphetamines, and methamphetamines.

No one has been arrested in this case, as it is still being investigated by Austin Police. provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Users who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s