AUSTIN (KXAN) — The Red Cross is helping five people displaced by a Northwest Austin apartment fire Sunday afternoon.
Firefighters were called to the scene in the 1800 block of Wooten Park Drive, near Anderson Lane east of 183, shortly after 1:00 p.m. Crews reported heavy smoke upon arrival but were able to extinguish the fire quickly.
Electrical failure in a vent hood sparked the blaze, according to investigators. The damage is estimated to be about $120,000.
Although the fire was contained to one unit, residents from two apartments were displaced due to building damage.