AUSTIN (KXAN) — You don’t have to spend money to have fun around Austin. Take a look at this weekend’s recommendation from our partners with Free Fun in Austin.
1. Movie Night at Arbor Trails: Honey, I Shrunk the Kids – Friday, May 23 at 8 p.m. Join Whole Foods Market under the stars at The Shops at Arbor Trails’ green space near the pond for a family night of fun. FREE! Arbor Trails, 4301 W William Cannon Dr.
2. Free Shakespeare in the Park: As You Like It – Friday, May 23, Saturday, May 24, and Sunday, May 25 at 8 p.m. In celebration of its 30th Free Shakespeare in Zilker Park, Austin Shakespeare will bring new actors and company alumni together in a RenFaire-style production of As You Like It. Audience in costume welcomed. Read about Heidi Okla’s experience here. This is the final weekend of performances. FREE! Zilker Hillside Theatre, 2206 William Barton Dr.
3. Alamo Kids Camp: Mousehunt (PG) – Saturday, May 24, Sunday, May 25, and Monday, May 26. Times vary by location. Kids age 3 and up are invited to attend a FREE movie at Alamo Drafthouse Lakeline or Alamo Slaughter Lane. Tickets are available from the box office on the day of the show on a first come, first served basis. Alamo Lakeline, 14028 N US Highway 183, Bldg F, Austin. Alamo Slaughter Lane, 5701 W. Slaughter Lane.
4. Planet K Concert at Bullock Museum – Sunday, May 25 at 6 p.m. Bring your family, a picnic dinner and a blanket or chairs to the Bullock Texas State History Museum’s Lone Star Plaza to enjoy a FREE concert by Floyd Domino Band with special guest Redd Volkaert and The Howard Kalish Experience. This is the final concert in this series. Bullock Texas State History Museum, 1800 N. Congress Ave.
5. Austin Symphony Hartman Foundation Concert in the Park – Sunday, May 25 at 7:30 p.m. Austin Symphony Hartman Foundation “Concerts in the Park” return to the Long Center for a 12th season of FREE ensemble concerts on Sunday evenings. Each Sunday, a different ensemble of the Austin Symphony will be featured at the Hartman Park, located on the grounds of the Long Center, performing music from jazz and light classical to pops selections and film scores. This Sunday, you can enjoy the Strings ensemble. Concertgoers are encouraged to bring a picnic dinner and blanket and make it a group outing. FREE Parking will be available at One Texas Center, located on Barton Springs Rd. at S. 1st Street. Paid parking will be available at the Palmer Garage for $7. Hartman Concert Park (directions), Long Center, 701 W Riverside.
6. Free admission to military families at The Thinkery – Monday May 26, All day. The popular children’s museum in Austin will be offering free admission to military personnel and their families starting on Memorial Day all the way through Labor Day, in collaboration with the National Endowment for the Arts, Blue Star Families and the Department of Defense.
7. Free admission to the LBJ Library - Monday May 26, all day. Everyone can enter for free, all day, at the LBJ Presidential Library in honor of Memorial Day.
8. Free Hooters Wings – Monday May 26, all day.All military personnel and their spouses will get 10 wings – on the house – with any drink purchase at any Hooters location across the country!
If you want to spend your day off honoring our servicemen and women, click here to view our list of 8 ways to salute our troops this Memorial Day.