AUSTIN (KXAN) — There are plenty of way to enjoy some good fun with your family this weekend. While not everything’s free, we have made a list of the Top 5 free things to do in Austin this week, courtesy of the Free Fun in Austin website.
- Family Matinee: Frozen – Monday, May 19 at 4:00 p.m. Fearless optimist Anna teams up with Kristoff in an epic journey, encountering Everest-like conditions, and a hilarious snowman named Olaf, in a race to find Anna’s sister Elsa, whose icy powers have trapped the kingdom in eternal winter. Rated PG. FREE! APL – Cepeda Branch, 651 N Pleasant Valley Rd, Austin.
- Fairytale Threads Children’s Consignment Sale – Thursday, May 22 and Friday, May 23 from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. With the weather warming up, now is the perfect time to stock up on summer duds for the kids. There will be maternity clothing, baby gear and toys, and clothing in sizes newborn to children’s 16. You can also find strollers, highchairs, baby and children’s furniture, books, games, videos, and more. FREE! Austin Sports Center, 425 Woodward St, Austin.
- Something for Nothing Presents Shakespeare’s Hamlet – Thursday, May 22 and Friday, May 23 at 8 p.m. Shake out your picnic blankets for a night of Shakespeare under the stars! Something for Nothing Theater will perform Hamlet with minimal props, costumes, and lighting, focusing on storytelling and the rich language of Shakespeare. Performed by a cast of 9 actors, featuring Jon Cook as Hamlet, Hamlet concludes at a brisk two hours. FREE! Ramsey Park, 4301 N Rosedale Ave, Austin.
- Planet Music: Middle Eastern – Friday, May 23 at 7:00 p.m. Enjoy the May edition of Planet Music, a Middle Eastern-themed event featuring live music by the 1001 Nights Orchestra and dance performances and lessons by Ravaan Persian Dancers and Austin International Folk Dancers. The first half will be a concert medley of Middle Eastern music. The second half will feature a fun, interactive “Beats Class” in between a combination of Middle Eastern and Balkan songs. Family friendly and FREE! Dougherty Arts Center, 1110 Barton Springs Road, Austin.
- Movie In The Park: Pee Wee’s Big Adventure – Friday, May 23 at 8:30 p.m. Remember the old drive-in movies on the big screen? Well, Dittmar Recreation Center is having a “flashback.” This is an opportunity to enjoy Pee Wee’s Big Adventure on the big screen, in the middle of the park. Bring your blankets, lawn chairs, and snacks. Glass containers and alcoholic beverages are not permitted. Family friendly and FREE! Dittmar Recreation Center, 1009 W Dittmar Road, Austin.