AUSTIN (KXAN) — LASA High School, Canyon Vista Middle School and Texas Preparatory School topped the lists for Austin’s top 10 schools, according to the non-profit Children at Risk.
For the last five years, Children at Risk has researched and ranked 422 public elementary, middle and high schools from the Austin area. The schools are measured by students’ performances on reading and math standardized tests, graduation rates and improvement in test scores over time.
“For every school district in the state of Texas, we are looking to see who are the very best schools and who are the schools that don’t make the grade,” Dr. Bob Sanborn, President of Children at Risk, said. “The point being that we want parents to be very involved in the education of their kids, making sure that they either get involved in the school to make it better or they change schools.”
According to Sanborn, Austin schools generally rank better than all other regions in the state of Texas but that’s not the case for every school.
“There’s still a significant proportion of Austin schools that aren’t measuring up and that’s another focus that’s important to us,” Sanborn said.
Sanborn said the reason Austin schools typically do better is because there’s more affluence in the area.
“There’s more money in those schools, there’s higher levels of parental education attainment; you’re going to have higher rankings,” Sanborn said. “Austin is a place that has not lost its focus on public education and there’s a lot of interest in making sure our public schools are good.”
For the first time, this year Children at risk also took a look at school districts as a whole with Dripping Springs ISD taking the coveted number one spot.
Top 10 Public High Schools in Greater Austin
- LASA High (Austin ISD) ((also ranked highest for math and science)
- Nyos Charter School
- Westlake High (Eanes ISD)
- Chaparral Star Academy
- Westwood High (Round Rock ISD)
- Wimberly High (Wimberly ISD)
- Bowie High (Austin ISD)
- Dripping Springs High (Dripping Springs ISD)
- McNeil High (Round Rock ISD)
- Lake Travis High (Lake Travis ISD)
Golden Ribbon School is Prairie Lea High School of Prairie Lea ISD
Top 5 Middle Schools in Austin
- Canyon Vista Middle (Round Rock ISD)
- Lake Travis Middle (Lake Travis ISD)
- James Garland Walsh Middle (Round Rock ISD)
- Four Points Middle (Leander ISD)
- Gorzycki Middle (Austin ISD)
Golden Ribbon School is KIPP Austin Academy of Arts & Letters, of KIPP Austin Public Schools, INC.
Top 5 Elementary Schools in Austin
- Texas Preparatory School
- Canyon Creek Elementary (Round Rock ISD)
- Laurel Mountain Elementary (Round Rock ISD)
- Spicewood ELementary (Round Rock ISD)
- Lakeway Elementary (Lake Travis ISD)
Gold Ribbon School is Blackshear Elementary of Austin ISD