LIBERTY HILL (KXAN) — So far, Chaparral Star Academy, in the Wells Branch area, is the only school to announce a closure on Tuesday morning due to a loss of power.
According to the Austin Fire Department, from 7 p.m. on Monday, to 7 a.m. on Tuesday firefighters responded to 173 calls including 49 fire alarms, five flood assists and six wires arcing calls. AFD and EMS had only one water rescue call and that person was able to remove themselves from the dangerous situation before emergency crews arrived on the scene. AFD officials said the biggest issue they faced during the Monday night storms was lightning, responding to six lightning caused structure fires, four in the city and two in Travis County.
Austin-Bergstrom International Airport has reported three cancellations and six delays so far(Check Your Flight Status at ABIA here):
- 7:30 a.m flight with destination to El Paso International Airport was delayed to 8:30 a.m.
- 7:45 a.m. and 9:20 a.m. flights to Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport were cancelled
- 8 a.m. flight to George Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston was cancelled
- 8 a.m. flight to San Francisco International Airport was delayed to 8:30 a.m.
- 9:40 a.m. flight to Denver International Airport was delayed to 2:55 p.m.
- 1:58 p.m. and 5:35 p.m. flights to Chicago were delayed
- 4:25 p.m. flight to Nashville delayed to 5:25 p.m.
Texas Search and Rescue swiftwater and flood evacuation teams are on standby in Central Texas.
According to a representative from Austin Energy, on Tuesday morning they were working on scattered outages but no circuits were out so traffic lights will remain functioning although some blinking lights may need to be reset. There have been a total of 1,500 scattered outages with 19 crews working to repair them.
STAR Flight also upped its overnight staff to two aircraft and crews.
City staff is monitoring conditions in Austin. A crew watches systems, maps and projections for flooding.
A member of Austin’s flood early warning staff says they worked with the U.S. Geological Survey to harden some gauges after floods and also improved some software.