AUSTIN (KXAN) — A family got out of their burning Del Valle home unharmed early Monday morning.
The fire started just after 3 a.m. at a home at 2504 Elara Drive in the Hornsby Glen neighborhood. That’s near Austin-Bergstrom International Airport.
Smoke detectors woke up the three people inside the home, who managed to get out quickly.
Travis County firefighters arrived to find flames showing through an upstairs window, and they had the fire out within a few minutes.
The family was worried about four dogs in the backyard, but because of safety concerns, firefighters would not allow them to retrieve the animals. However, all of the dogs remained unharmed.
Investigators say “improperly discarded smoking materials” started the fire that has left three adults without a home. In the past, that usually points to a cigarette, but that has not yet been made clear. KXAN News will work to confirm the smoking material in this incident.
With fire damage to the second floor and smoke and water damage through, damage estimates are $50,000 for the home and $50,000 for belongings.