AUSTIN (KXAN) – AFD officials say that what looked like smoke billowing out of an East Austin church was actually freon leaking from an HVAC system.
Fire units were called to Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic church in the 1200 block of East 9th Street at about 3:30 Sunday afternoon.
Firefighters originally believed heavy smoke was coming from the church’s basement. However, no fire was found and officials said the leak caused minimal damage.
“Freon can be toxic, especially in enclosed areas, so our crews are going to have to continue to remain on air,” AFD Battalion Chief Palmer Buck said. “They’re going to ventilate the church thoroughly before turning the church back over to the parishioners.”