AUSTIN (KXAN) — Walnut Creek Elementary in North Austin will reopen on Tuesday after a fire in a classroom forced the school to cancel classes on Monday morning.
The fire broke out around 5:30 a.m. at the school on 401 West Braker Lane, just east of Lamar Boulevard. It was caused by an accidental power strip failure.
Firefighters were able to put out the fire fairly quickly and kept it contained to the 100 (prekindergarten) wing. One firefighter was treated for a cut on his finger.
AFD estimated the fire caused $100,000 worth of damage to the structure and $25,000 worth of property damage.
On Monday night, after a security and safety check, the District determined that the building was safe for students to returns.
Students who have classes in the 100 wing will be reassigned to other areas of the school.
The student drop-off point at the campus remains in the east parking lot. The bus drop-off point will be at the school cafeteria. The school is asking all students to enter through the cafeteria.