AUSTIN (KXAN) – Try finding a restaurant in Austin that doesn’t have some form of a taco on the menu. But only eight of those selections made a new list of the 50 Best Tacos in America, presented by The Daily Meal.
Blogger Dan Myers surveyed more than 200 of the country’s leading food writers and taco authorities to create the list. Texas tacos dominated this year’s rankings with 17 spots.
“Tacos are a food that inspires fierce loyalty,” said Myers. “Ask someone in Texas (Austin, in particular) where the country’s best tacos are and they’ll tell you they’ve found it. But head to Los Angeles and you’ll meet people convinced that there’s nothing better than a perfectly fried fish taco. And you know what? They’ll both be right.”
In case you were wondering, the survey only covers brick-and-mortar eateries, no food trucks.
Breakfast tacos were not covered either. But Austin Mayor Lee Leffingwell took care of that for you last month.
Here are the top 10:
1) La Taquería, San Francisco: Carnitas Taco
2) Los Tacos No. 1, New York City: Adobada Taco
3) The Shed, Santa Fe, N.M.: Chicken with Green Chile Taco
4) Torchy’s Tacos, Various Texas Locations: Trailer Park Taco
5) El Real Tex-Mex Café, Houston: Chicken Puffy Taco
6) Mexicali Taco & Co., Los Angeles: Carne Asada Taco
7) Tito’s Tacos, Culver City, Calif.: Tito’s Taco with Cheese
8) La Super-Rica, Santa Barbara, Calif.: Adobado Taco
9) Chico’s Tacos, El Paso, Texas: Chico’s Taco
10) Birrieria Zaragoza, Chicago: Birria Tatemada Taco
Other Austin tacos on the list:
18) Matt’s Famous El Rancho, Austin, Texas: Al Carbón Taco
20) La Condesa, Austin, Texas: Arábicos Taco
22) Taquería Arandas, Austin, Texas: Al Pastor Taco
27) Papalote Taco House, Austin, Texas: Cecina Taco
33) Joe’s Bakery, Austin, Texas: Carne Guisada Taco
38) Tacodeli, Austin, Texas: El Conquistador
46) Juan in a Million, Austin: Carne Guisada