AUSTIN (KXAN) — The public can help shape improvements to congestion along MoPac South on Tuesday.
The Central Texas Regional Mobility Authority has generated six ideas on ways to improve traffic along an eight-mile stretch of MoPac southbound between Cesar Chavez and Slaughter Lane
Right now, an estimated 150,000 cars travel on that portion of the road every day, and it’s only expected to get worse as growth continues to move south of the city.
During an open house Tuesday at 3:30 p.m. at Barton Creek Square Mall, CTRMA hopes the public will voice their opinion on the following ideas;
1) Add an additional General Purpose Lane.
2) Create an HOV for transit like vanpools during peak travel times.
3) Transit Only Lanes for vehicles like buses and vanpools during rush hour.
4) Express Lanes. Currently under construction on north Mopac where the toll fluctuates based on the amount of traffic on the road.
5) Transportation System Management would be an effort to foster ways to reduce traffic with carpools, bicycles, and transit instead of building new infrastructure.
6) And the final option is to do nothing.
While feedback is gathered, CTRMA is also conducting an environmental study to determine which of the choices would pose the least amount of harm.
“The effects anything would have on the environment from air quality to water quality, noise, effects on neighborhoods, even the effects on the cultural life are looked at in this report,” said Rick L’Amie, Communications Manager, CTRMA.
CTRMA plans to have the environmental study complete in the fall 2015. It will list the most feasible options as well as the estimated cost of the project. Funding for any improvements have not been determined.
A separate study is also looking at building an underpass at MoPac and Slaughter Lane so commuters can avoid the light.
“As the population growth has extended south there’s been more and more congestion at Slaughter and the cross so citizens have identified that as a real area that needs to be improved,” said L’Amie.
Anyone interested in providing feedback but cannot attend the open house Tuesday afternoon can fill out an online survey.
Central Texas Regional Mobility Authority Open House
- Mopac South Improvements
- Tuesday, 3:30 p.m. to 7p.m.
- Barton Creek Square Mall – first floor
- (Near JC Penny, Starbucks and AMC Theater)