Items left on stove sparked deadly fire

Eric Jermaine Williams
Eric Jermaine Williams

AUSTIN (KXAN) — A deadly fire at a North Austin apartment complex started after non-cooking items left on a stove caught fire, investigators said.

Eric Jermaine Williams, 41, died from smoke inhalation and thermal injuries in the fire at the Quail Run Apartments.

The fire started Monday just before 3 a.m. Neighbors on the second floor called 911 after their smoke detector went off.  Firefighters immediately evacuated people living in neighboring apartments.

Crews had a hard time finding the source of the fire because there was smoke in the walls and between floors. Eventually they realized the smoke was coming from a first floor kitchen, and discovered Williams unconscious in that apartment. Emergency workers tried to revive the man with CPR, but did not succeed.

Five apartments in the 16-unit complex suffered damage in the fire. The losses were an estimated $125,000.

Funeral services for Williams will be held Friday, May 2, at Cook-Walden Pflugerville. Viewing will be from 10:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. prior to the 1 p.m. service. Burial will follow.

KXAN.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Users who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus