AUSTIN (KXAN) — If you’re headed downtown Monday morning, you might want to plan ahead. On Monday, April 14 crews will begin realigning Red River Street for construction of the new teaching hospital at the Dell Medical School.
The street will be closed from Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard to 15th Street until the end of 2014. Red River is expected to reopen in January 2015.
Capital Metro service will also be affected by the closure. The following routes will be detoured away from Red River onto the IH-35 frontage road, San Jacinto or Trinity Streets:
- 10 Red River/ South First
- 20 Manor/ Riverside
- 37 Colony Park/Windsor Park
- 100 MetroAirport (southbound only)
- 670 CP- Crossing Place
The following bus stops will be closed or partially closed during Red River construction:
- Stop ID 1571 at Red River/15th Street
- Stop ID 1572 at Red River/MLK
- Stop ID 1710 at Red River/18th Street
- Stop ID 2319 at 15th/IH 35
- Stop ID 4678 at Robert Dedman/20th
- Stop ID 5657 at Robert Dedman/20th
- Partially closed: Stop ID 2761 at MLK/Red River (Route 37 only)
- Partially closed: Stop ID 3743 at Robert Dedman/23rd (Routes 10, 20 only)
- Partially closed: Stop ID 5600 at 15th/Brackenridge (Route 670-CP only)
Other roadwork associated with the medical school project began on March 30.
The university hopes for classes to begin at the school in 2016. The teaching hospital is set to open in 2017.