AUSTIN (KXAN) — Plenty of questions surfaced surrounding the firearms regulations on the Fort Hood post after Lt. Gen. Mark A. Milley reported that the weapon Ivan Lopez used to open fire on fellow service members was not registered to be on post.
After the 2009 massacre on Fort Hood, restrictions on personal weapons were expanded. That means a lot of soldiers are not allowed to carry weapons on posts like Fort Hood. In fact, only law enforcement and security personnel are allowed to have weapons on post.
The site welcoming new soldiers to Fort Hood uses red text, asterisks and multiple exclamation marks to underscore the policy requiring soldiers to register their personal weapons with their commanders and keep those weapons in the arms room.
Milley said Lopez’ weapon had been purchased recently in the local area and was not registered to be on the post.
KXAN uncovered Department of Defense documents showing that firearms are only “issued to qualified personnel when life or DoD assets will be jeopardized if guns are not carried.”
However, there’s currently a bill before the House of Representatives — legislation introduced by Rep. Steve Stockman, R-Texas, in the wake of the Navy Yard shootings in September — that could change that. The proposed bill would allow service members and federal civilians to carry their personal weapons on military installations
The commanding general of III corps told KXAN after Wednesday’s shooting, he is not in favor of changing the current rules.