Melting window alerted sleeping family to fire in Volente

VOLENTE, Texas (KXAN) — A fire burned a storage building in the Volente area of West Travis County early Thursday morning.

The flames broke out just before 4:30 a.m. at a home on Booth Circle, near FM 2769.

The building that burned was a storage area containing a washer, dryer and workshop.

Volente Fire Chief Walter Groman said the residents woke up when the heat from the fire melted the window of a bedroom in the adjacent house.

The chief said that area poses a particular challenge for firefighters.

“We do not have municipal water,” said Groman. “The fire trucks have to bring it all in. We have fire trucks with 1,000 gallons of water and then we have a water tender that carries 2,000 gallons of water. That’s how we extinguished the fire today.”

Austin, Lake Travis and North Lake Travis Fire Departments all assisted Volente in fighting the fire.

In addition, the Pedernales Electric Co-op responded to take care of a power concern.  A power line to the house dropped during the fire.  PEC workers secured that and checked other power lines behind the house to make sure there were no other problems.

Investigators say the fire started near the dryer and a halogen lamp. provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Users who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s