AUSTIN (KXAN) — Authorities reported ice on several roadways in and around the Austin metro area Monday morning as temperatures dropped below freezing.
The Texas Department of Transportation brought out sand trucks on Tuesday morning to improve driving conditions sent crews out as early as Monday night to pre-treat roads throughout the night and make conditions easier on morning commuters, but reports of icy conditions and accidents keep piling in:
- Austin police reported three vehicles were stuck on the rap of EB 290 E to NB SH 130.
- The overpass over Montopolis in the 5900 Block of E. Ben White Boulevard is closed until it’s de-iced.
- Caldwell County Sheriff’s Office reports icy road conditions on Schuelke Road on SH 130 overpass
- In Round Rock, city crews are responding to reports of ice on bridges on US 79, University Boulevard and Old Settlers Boulevard.
- Dripping Springs reported icy conditions on Highway 290.
- EMS responded to two separate rollovers on SH 130 and Pflugerville Parkway where icy conditions were causing cars to slide on the roadway. No injuries.
- In Pflugerville, flyover at SH 130 and SH 45 is shut down for icy conditions.
- Collision at SH 71 EB on ramp to SH 130 NB, no injures but authorities reported ice in the area.
Emergency personnel and police said they responded to 12 collisions in the Austin-Travis County area. As temperatures rise at 9 a.m. road conditions are expected to improve. Authorities warn drivers to use extra caution when crossing bridges or overpasses.
Austin-Bergstrom International Airport also experienced some trouble due to the icy conditions. 10 departing flights were cancelled this morning:
- 7:10 a.m. to DFW
- 7:10 a.m. to Washington DC
- 8:05 a.m. to DFW
- 8:55 a.m. to DFW
- 10:15 a.m. to Houston
- 11:15 a.m. to DFW
- 11:39a.m. to Houston
- 11:54 a.m. to Charlotte
- 1:16 p.m. to Houston
Four arrivals were also cancelled:
- 9:05 a.m. from Houston
- 9:10 a.m. from Houston
- 10:10 a.m. from Houston
- 10:35 a.m. from Dallas
- 11:21 a.m. from Charlotte