Two people hurt in North Austin apartment fire

Apartment fire on Payton Gin Road (Sophia Beausoleil/KXAN)
Apartment fire on Payton Gin Road (Sophia Beausoleil/KXAN)

AUSTIN (KXAN) — A fire at a North Austin apartment complex injured two people early Tuesday morning.

Firefighters began working to put out the flames at about 4:15 a.m. at the Peyton Place apartments at 1611 Payton Gin Rd., near US 183.  They had the fire knocked down within ten minutes.

Fire investigators say it started when a man fell asleep and something he was smoking caught a cushion on fire.  He thought he put it out and set the cushion on the balcony, where winds reignited the flames.

A man and a woman were taken to University Medical Center Brackenridge with burns.

Firefighters were briefly concerned about the stability of the balcony outside the burned apartment, but they have determined it is safe.

They estimate the damages add up to about $5,000, because the two people had just moved in and did not have much property in the apartment.

The fire did not spread to adjacent units, so no neighbors had to evacuate. provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Users who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s