AUSTIN (KXAN) – Changes continue to happen along MoPac as crews prep for the Improvement Project that will add an express toll lane. On Sunday crews started building temporary concrete barriers along the highway on the Southbound lanes between Anderson Ln and 22.
Workers are expected to complete them by Thursday. This comes after crews re-stripped the road between Hwy. 183 and 2222 in December.
This is helping pave the way for construction for tolled express lanes. The project is expected to finish in 2015, but for the next year there will be a lot of construction on one of the busiest roadways.
Crews will work at night between 9 p.m. and 5 a.m. to avoid rush hour, but regardless of the time, people will have to slow down because of the smaller lanes, barriers and speed limit.
The first week of January the speed limit changed from 65 mph to 55.
The next phase will Start on Jan. 12, when the Southbound ramp of 183 will close for re-stripping. The area will be between 183 and Steck Avenue. People wanting to use the southbound MoPac lanes from US. 183 will have to take Northbound MoPac frontage road to the Texas turnaround Loop 360 to get to the southbound lanes.
If the temperature is below 50 degrees, the work will be delayed.
- Construction of sound walls
- Upgrades to the visual appearance of the corridor with aesthetic enhancements and significant landscaping
- Enhancement of bicycle and pedestrian facilities
- Enhanced traffic monitoring and incident management
- – See more at: http://www.mopacexpress.com/about/project-overview.php#sthash.jbQ8rAR6.dpuf