Austin (KXAN) – Members of the Austin Fire Department spent Saturday installing free smoke alarms around the neighborhood where a woman died in a house fire earlier in the week.
42 homes around Tumbleweed Drive received a total of 130 smoke alarms. Firefighters checked the batteries in many other smoke alarms throughout the neighborhood.
On Monday, a 73-year-old woman living at 7311 Tumbleweed Drive died after a space heater she was using malfunctioned and caught nearby items on fire.
After the accidental death, it was important for the department to take steps to make sure everyone else was safe.
“The smoke alarms are so important to giving you that early warning for you to be able to get out alive in case of a fire,” said AFD Public Information Officer Palmer Buck.
Those receiving the alarms were happy to finally be able to feel safe.
“They’re really helpful and they check and made sure everyone is having ’em like they’re supposed to be. That is really helping a lot,” said Lynda Baker who had three smoke alarms installed.