Man dies from carbon monoxide poisoning in Texas motel

(AP Photo/Jeremy Hainsworth)
(AP Photo/Jeremy Hainsworth)

LUBBOCK, Texas (AP) — A man has been found dead and a woman sick at a West Texas motel in what investigators believe was accidental carbon monoxide poisoning.

Lubbock police on Thursday responded to the Budget Motel when two guests who were scheduled to check out could not be reached in their room.

Investigators say the man was dead at the scene. The woman was transported to a Lubbock hospital.

Fire Rescue Battalion Chief Rob Keinast says a faulty heater may be to blame. He says high levels of carbon monoxide were detected in the room.

Names of the man and woman, who checked into the motel Wednesday night, were not immediately released.

The Budget Motel was closed Friday and no one from the business was immediately available to comment.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

KXAN.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Users who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus