Plumbing repairs lead to apartment fire

photo_1389030050630_5070772_ver1.0_640_480

AUSTIN (KXAN) – A fire Monday at an apartment was caused by a maintenance worker using a blowtorch to make plumbing repairs, the Austin Fire Department said. Investigators said the worker was using the torch to thaw frozen pipes.

When firefighters responded to the two-story condominium at 7117 Wood Hollow Drive, they saw fire coming from the exterior. AFD said the flames partially extended into the attic.

Three units were affected in the fire that caused about $102,000 in total damage. Five people were displaced, according to AFD.

KXAN.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Users who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s